Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Toxic Leadership

When I think of toxic leadership, I think about the wicked witch in snow white. Although it sounds like a silly idea, it is true, it is toxic leadership. Toxic leadership is defined as doing something only for you. If a leader acts like he or she is doing something for you.... he or she probably isn't. There are two types of toxic leaders:
-Intentional toxic leaders: Deliberately inure others or enhance themselves at others’ expense
-Unintentional toxic leaders: Engage in careless and reckless actions, including incompetence, nonetheless causing negative effects

Looking back at high school and middle school I feel like I was tagged a long by a lot of toxic leaders. I am the type of person that will want to do anything for someone as long as it doesn’t physically hurt me. I want to please everyone even if it takes me out of my way. However, even though I will do anything for someone in need, sometimes I am chosen to do things by someone because they think and know I will do that particular task even if it is only helping them out. I will always think of someone else before myself and that’s the tricky part. Letting a toxic leader tag you a long can really hurt your self-esteem and can definitely change your opinion on people that are really trying to help you personally in your future.

My little sister is in seventh grade. She goes to a private school with around twenty-five students in her class. She has a very sweet and innocent personality to her. When she is told or asked to do something by her fellow classmates, it always reminds me of when I was younger. Her friends are very sweet however some of them are not so nice to everyone in the class. They are at an age where a person thinks about himself or herself, they want things for themselves and try to accomplish things to get more. It is normal to want things for you but at this age they are doing things against other people to get what they want. However, time and peoples personalities do not change.

Some of the characteristics of a toxic leader are; incompetence, malfunctioning, irresponsible, amoral, cowardice, arrogance, selfish values, and malicious. That is just some of the characteristics. There are many more.

When I think of toxic leadership, I think about all of the Disney princess movies. I think of all of the story backgrounds because in each story, there is a good person and a bad witch. The bad witch will always want the good little girl and something that she has. The witch always tries to lure the princess to trust her so that the princess will open up and tell the witch all of the secrets or values.

No comments:

Post a Comment